[guide]how to balance priv/IH games

PinkVoid
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: EU

[guide]how to balance priv/IH games

Post by PinkVoid » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:02 am

I wanted to write this for quite some time. Today it is a nice sunny day, perfect to write a guide on your tablet :)
This is how I do it in short:

1. You are host and not sure about individual skillz of the guys => Let someone balance who knows all player. Ask how many games one have if not sure, it is the best indicator imo.
2. You got two dedicated equally experienced keeper? Perfect! Split them. 1/4 of balance done.
2a. Only one keeper in lobby or one of the keeper is superior? Give the other team better field player: either the best defender or the best attacker avaible.
2b. No or only bad keeper: Split two best field player right away.

It is easy to work from here, just estimate how strong each team is and and finish the teams accordingly.

Keep in mind a few more things:
You cannot balance every game perfectly. Never flame the balance master! (3 top player in lobby for example)
You can experiment and put teams (clans) together the higher average level a lobby has. Balance more conservatively with less experienced player in lobby (pub player, new to IH...)
Two top keeper help balance a lot, one sucks. Consider asking single keeper to field if you have troubles finding a nice balance (all 8 about same level for example)
Day conditions: one team can be op one day, balanced the other day. When balancing, think of how every one did last few games. Even the best player suck some times. Mediocre player might have a good day.

Also some player don't do well together, even if they are good player on their own.

In case you really screwed balance: don't just crush the other team, they might lose motivation. Ask for remake, let the worst keeper opt in for the OP team, train passes, defense, new stuff and ask for remake again. It is more fun for both teams to have good balance.

Being some goals behind doesn't necessarily mean bad bala - always keep in mind you can come back or possibly win a rematch.

Btw didn't know where else to post @ mods

PV
Last edited by PinkVoid on Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Templar fans battlenet://starcraft/group/2/225591 @ EU
Rigensis
Battle.net Name: Rigensis
Battle.net Char Code: 955

Re: [guide]how to balance priv/IH games

Post by Rigensis » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:14 am

Jeez pink, at this rate of post you can consider yourself spammer. You need to talk to someone about that, before it eats your life :D

About first point - before giving lobby host to someone else check if that person is not afk. If fail that - then you will be left sitting and waiting for the person given host to show up.

And and try, if possible put same clan members in same team for additional flavour. Perfect situation is clan vs clan. U dont even need to balance that, just go and have some bloodshed.

Very important thing - other side to the flaming the person who balanced the game purely - after balancing teams successfully try not get too cocky by shouting things like "I'm bala god!". It just shows that balancer is an arrogant small rooster.

What I like to do if the game has gone really sour for an opposing team is to get out of the cage and play as a field player - since by sitting as a fat goalie you don't get much practice as a field player it is good to use any opportunity to practice being something else than a keeper. Plus it adds some balance to the game.

And to be honest - the best way and the most fun way to balance a game is by captains picks.
Whenever we do Cpt picks In EU private games (in houses are such a stupid NA term - it should be burned and forgotten) theres a problem that we want to give chance for each player to be a Cpt at least once even if player isn't particularly familiar with other player skills. At EU event hosted by wildfire this summer we had Cpt picks and I can recall two instances when Cpt badge was given to player who then picked clan mates rather than best picks. And i'm talking about TheZH clan which is disbanded now. So I would say that EU should stop be so good mannered and give Cpt title for right zealots for the job.

Secondly Cpt picks help to deal in graceful manner with situations when lobby has more than 8 players - weakest players will be picked less. But again - soft europeans have unwritten rule - to pick players which haven't played in last game.

In overall - in my humble opinion - balancing games isn't a problem which needs a guide... Players will protest if the balancer is doing rubbish job. Plus - it is intuitive. The bigger problem is that not many know how to create and host a game. There are handful list of players who are willing to take time and gather players and who have knowledge where to look players for a private game instead of just going to public game if they are not invited to private game or if no private is going on.

Pinky forgot the most important thing tho - dont let smurfs into private games :D
PinkVoid
Battle.net Name:

Post by PinkVoid » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:48 am

Rigensis wrote:Jeez pink, at this rate of post you can consider yourself spammer. You need to talk to someone about that, before it eats your life :D

About first point - before giving lobby host to someone else check if that person is not afk. If fail that - then you will be left sitting and waiting for the person given host to show up.

And and try, if possible put same clan members in same team for additional flavour. Perfect situation is clan vs clan. U dont even need to balance that, just go and have some bloodshed.

Very important thing - other side to the flaming the person who balanced the game purely - after balancing teams successfully try not get too cocky by shouting things like "I'm bala god!". It just shows that balancer is an arrogant small rooster.

What I like to do if the game has gone really sour for an opposing team is to get out of the cage and play as a field player - since by sitting as a fat goalie you don't get much practice as a field player it is good to use any opportunity to practice being something else than a keeper. Plus it adds some balance to the game.

And to be honest - the best way and the most fun way to balance a game is by captains picks.
Whenever we do Cpt picks In EU private games (in houses are such a stupid NA term - it should be burned and forgotten) theres a problem that we want to give chance for each player to be a Cpt at least once even if player isn't particularly familiar with other player skills. At EU event hosted by wildfire this summer we had Cpt picks and I can recall two instances when Cpt badge was given to player who then picked clan mates rather than best picks. And i'm talking about TheZH clan which is disbanded now. So I would say that EU should stop be so good mannered and give Cpt title for right zealots for the job.

Secondly Cpt picks help to deal in graceful manner with situations when lobby has more than 8 players - weakest players will be picked less. But again - soft europeans have unwritten rule - to pick players which haven't played in last game.

In overall - in my humble opinion - balancing games isn't a problem which needs a guide... Players will protest if the balancer is doing rubbish job. Plus - it is intuitive. The bigger problem is that not many know how to create and host a game. There are handful list of players who are willing to take time and gather players and who have knowledge where to look players for a private game instead of just going to public game if they are not invited to private game or if no private is going on.

Pinky forgot the most important thing tho - dont let smurfs into private games :D
Rig! Yes I am bored at my parents house. No it is not spam, it is a fucking forum....
Drafting is generally considered bad balance results, and a waste of time, which planet do you live on to say such bs??

I have to go, I will come back later and read your amazing post. I bet you don't know a guide on how to balance was requested.

It was a mistake to bring you to this forum, we should have kept you secretely on our EU backyard to save us from such embarassing moments. :P
CountryKen
Battle.net Name: CountryKen
Battle.net Char Code: 525
Battle.net Server: NA

Post by CountryKen » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:56 pm

PinkVoid wrote: Rig! Yes I am bored at my parents house. No it is not spam, it is a fucking forum....
Drafting is generally considered bad balance results, and a waste of time, which planet do you live on to say such bs??

I have to go, I will come back later and read your amazing post. I bet you don't know a guide on how to balance was requested.

It was a mistake to bring you to this forum, we should have kept you secretely on our EU backyard to save us from such embarassing moments. :P
[/quote]

Haha REKT !
Rigensis
Battle.net Name: Rigensis
Battle.net Char Code: 955

Post by Rigensis » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:16 pm

Requested by whom? You?
RusH
Battle.net Name:

Post by RusH » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:22 pm

Wow gr8 guide, i'm already putting it to good use!
PinkVoid
Battle.net Name:

Post by PinkVoid » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:49 pm

RusH wrote:Wow gr8 guide, i'm already putting it to good use!
Not really sure if sarcasm or not but feel free to give suggestions, I can edit the post so we have a guide we can refere to. I was thinking of adding examples.
TeeKay
Legend
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Server: CN

Post by TeeKay » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:54 pm

A player should never spec consecutive games unless they request to. Also, strawberry Goza should be forced to play atleast once every 3 games ;p
RusH
Battle.net Name:

Post by RusH » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:58 pm

PinkVoid wrote:
RusH wrote:Wow gr8 guide, i'm already putting it to good use!
Not really sure if sarcasm or not but feel free to give suggestions, I can edit the post so we have a guide we can refere to. I was thinking of adding examples.
No I was using it. But most of it is common sense anyway.
PinkVoid
Battle.net Name:

Post by PinkVoid » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:06 pm

Rigensis wrote: Requested by whom? You?
Well for one http://www.zealothockey.net/viewtopic.p ... 1143#p1136
Fu for making me look for that post on a mobile device.

Secondly and more important I am sick of being invited to games and being made host right away because people are afraid to balance themselves.
But don't worry rig, buddy, it is an amazing idea to be toxic to the only guy on EU who does anything for the game you are playing every day.... You could write a guide yourself, maybe it is as awesome as your intro.......

@rush
Ty
@CK
:mrgreen: