Professor Watermelon's "Art of the Finish"

User avatar
daggius
Posts: 442
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:53 am
Battle.net Name: daggius
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: NA

Re: Professor Watermelon's "Art of the Finish"

Post by daggius » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:35 pm

NSIC IS ALIVE
User avatar
Navyseals
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:31 pm
Battle.net Name: Provyseals
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: NA
Location: That one place

Re: Professor Watermelon's "Art of the Finish"

Post by Navyseals » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:13 pm

Provy Approved. 10/10 would read
User avatar
Bulbasaaur
Posts: 277
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 7:22 pm
Battle.net Name: Bulbasaaur
Battle.net Char Code: 615
Battle.net Server: NA

Re: Professor Watermelon's "Art of the Finish"

Post by Bulbasaaur » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:56 pm

i told you i'm bad
User avatar
Watermelon
Posts: 1374
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:34 pm
Battle.net Name: Watermelon
Battle.net Char Code: 1918
Battle.net Server: NA

Re: Professor Watermelon's "Art of the Finish"

Post by Watermelon » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:45 am

Added a gif for the rhythmic juking section
S4 Champ | Playoff MVP | "Best Owner"
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
record for most goals in a ZHL game: http://www.zealothockey.net/event/450/
User avatar
handsumSnail
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:35 pm
Battle.net Name: handsumSnail
Battle.net Char Code: 312
Battle.net Server: EU

Re: Professor Watermelon's "Art of the Finish"

Post by handsumSnail » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:37 am

10/10 would read again

i think Felix, Slide, MoS would make the "deterministic finisher" cut if the graph was made for EU, i find that if you position yourself properly against them, you get scored on... so i usually try to do a lot of weird stuff against them like intentionally offering them openings through bad positioning and then Z to fill the gap, however, if they do not switch to opportunistic i look like a complete nab

which is actually the same topic as is my only issue i have with this article, and that is most ppl (even some best players) can't tell the difference between goalie panic and trying to turn the table on the striker and making him the one that has to respond to your moves... how? by providing a gap in your position you rely on the striker to have quick reflexes and since he should already be powering up, you are left with no choice but to use charge. if he is good enough, he is wired to release on first gap he "creates", and you just stopped impossible 1v1 situation... but if he is not, it looks like you positioned yourself badly and paniced to stop the shot

similiar to this are 1v1 breakaways where striker is so far ahead of closest defender he gets to fully charge a shot and doing couple of clicks barely cuts him to half power, leaving him in imba position to score. i feel like in that situation you have to respond by choosing a side and charging, because it is no longer possible to react after shot gets powered past a certain point. however, only half of the time striker releases when he should (=his shot power&proximity>human reaction&internet latency), and even then it's 50-50 you guessed the side he can shot at. so you are left there looking like nab who paniced, when in fact you increased your chances of saving the goal from little over zero to 1 in 4...

and yes, when i say guess, i do mean it. past a certain level in skill, striker in my opinion always has much easier job than goalie. even though everything i mentioned was for 1v1s exclusively, i strongly support the school of thought where a goalie is as good as his defense.

Nocturnus explains it further by saying a defenders job is not to take away possesion, but to harass powerup bar so that when shot is finally released, its speed is in human limits to stop. this basically means you should never tackle (charge against direction of enemy) but close down (move with the enemy whilst closing the distance) , you should try and stay as close as possible to the opposing striker at all times (forcing him to reposition, to click), you should never assume resteal wont happen (so if u get the steal chance, spam it away to the side), and so on... for goalies, we can add that snipes should never work (if you are in harmony with your defense) and that you should never get scored on your near corner (especially important just after u get cooldown, cuz most goalies feel vulnerable and/or dont trust their defense enough so they abbandon position and get rekt by opportunistic strikers).
Image
User avatar
SplatterArt
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:55 pm
Battle.net Name: SplatterArt
Battle.net Char Code: 100
Battle.net Server: EU
Location: Wrocław / Poland

Re: Professor Watermelon's "Art of the Finish"

Post by SplatterArt » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:43 am

handsumSnail wrote:[As Defender] you should never tackle (charge against direction of enemy) but close down (move with the enemy whilst closing the distance) , you should try and stay as close as possible to the opposing striker at all times (forcing him to reposition, to click), you should never assume resteal wont happen (so if u get the steal chance, spam it away to the side), and so on... for goalies, we can add that snipes should never work (if you are in harmony with your defense) and that you should never get scored on your near corner (especially important just after u get cooldown, cuz most goalies feel vulnerable and/or dont trust their defense enough so they abbandon position and get rekt by opportunistic strikers).
<3 THIS part !

Give me def player mature enough to implement this. ;)
Very uncommon among our players because most of them want to have fun with scoring.

Also:
- Breakaway goal - defender's fault (for me good def = no breakaways - he always stands in the line between goalie and opponent eventually have chance to steal if opponent goes solo all the way)
- Short post goal - goalie's fault
Image
User avatar
DerrocK
Posts: 1273
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:46 am
Battle.net Name: Junky
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: EU
Location: Top 1000 EU

Re: Professor Watermelon's "Art of the Finish"

Post by DerrocK » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:32 pm

SplatterArt wrote:
handsumSnail wrote:[As Defender] you should never tackle (charge against direction of enemy) but close down (move with the enemy whilst closing the distance) , you should try and stay as close as possible to the opposing striker at all times (forcing him to reposition, to click), you should never assume resteal wont happen (so if u get the steal chance, spam it away to the side), and so on... for goalies, we can add that snipes should never work (if you are in harmony with your defense) and that you should never get scored on your near corner (especially important just after u get cooldown, cuz most goalies feel vulnerable and/or dont trust their defense enough so they abbandon position and get rekt by opportunistic strikers).
<3 THIS part !

Give me def player mature enough to implement this. ;)
Very uncommon among our players because most of them want to have fun with scoring.

Also:
- Breakaway goal - defender's fault (for me good def = no breakaways - he always stands in the line between goalie and opponent eventually have chance to steal if opponent goes solo all the way)
- Short post goal - goalie's fault
hi
COTEP W
EZHL S1 W
EU Open W
NA ZHPL S5 W
EUS2 Regular Season W, Commish, AllStar
EU Redline W
EUS6 Commish
Swedish Open 2v2 W
DaGOAT ZHCL Rings: 2
Best Support ZHPL S11
Nº1 EU Forum Poster
Immortals on ice Rings: 3
EUS8 W

Narcissism at its best
User avatar
handsumSnail
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:35 pm
Battle.net Name: handsumSnail
Battle.net Char Code: 312
Battle.net Server: EU

Re: Professor Watermelon's "Art of the Finish"

Post by handsumSnail » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:37 pm

ROFLMAO
Image
User avatar
SplatterArt
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:55 pm
Battle.net Name: SplatterArt
Battle.net Char Code: 100
Battle.net Server: EU
Location: Wrocław / Poland

Re: Professor Watermelon's "Art of the Finish"

Post by SplatterArt » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:08 pm

DerrocK wrote: hi
You, sir are very good def and I have an impression You'd be even better if You dedicate for this role.
Image
User avatar
l)arkangel
Posts: 1106
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:50 am
Battle.net Name: Darkangel
Battle.net Char Code: 1457
Battle.net Server: NA
Location: Troll City

Re: Professor Watermelon's "Art of the Finish"

Post by l)arkangel » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:33 pm

SplatterArt wrote:
DerrocK wrote: hi
You, sir are very good def and I have an impression You'd be even better if You dedicate for this role.
come to the dark side

ha.
ha...
ha........
*S5 Champion*

Player Profile
Post Reply