Using OBS Replay Buffer for on-the-fly highlights

Share your ZH-related videos, player streams, gifs, and more!
ProfessorX
Battle.net Name: ProfessorX
Battle.net Char Code: 1530
Battle.net Server: NA

Using OBS Replay Buffer for on-the-fly highlights

Post by ProfessorX » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:08 pm

Have you ever watched a Zealot Hockey match and out of nowhere ZotZ pulls out a wicked spin-o-rama through 3 defenders, triple dekes left right, and goes top shelf to pop Goza's gatorade bottle? Instead of spamming "cya" in the twitch chat, don't you wish you could watch that clip AGAIN right after it happens? Well now we can!

Ok, so I was looking at how to implement "instant replays" into the live stream, and some fine folks have already done all the legwork. (I seriously take zero credit for this, but thank you to those who watched my crappy test stream and for the kind words). It is fairly simple to get working.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQMxUMZ4pJI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuOOEL3rtjQ

After an afternoon of fiddling, here is a rudimentary version of this feature: http://www.twitch.tv/zhlprof/c/6574564

I hope all casters integrate this into their setup. I think Moose is attempting this for tonight's cast, but something was wonky when pulling it up mid-game, so for now it's after-game highlights.

I ran into 1 hiccup when setting it up. For some reason although my user account in Windows 8.1 has admin rights, I don't have permanent elevated permissions when running programs, so I had to run Directory Monitor as admin and OBS as admin in order for the batch file to execute properly. Also make sure you 'Start Replay Buffer' from the 'Start Recording' dropdown, and then 'Start Streaming'.

I have the buffer set at 7 seconds (I think that's enough to get the whole play), and use the Video Source plugin to play the highlight, although I like what the Shaydo guy does to use SMPlayer (smaller footprint than VLC) to play the highlight in slow motion. I haven't tested this yet though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ATTENTION:

Big big ups to Moose who just debuted an awesome after-game highlight playlist using this feature. I'll let him chime in and show others how he set it up, but it was wonderfully executed.

I've changed my mind and I believe showing the highlights after the game is 10x better. Moose not only replayed the goals, but the missed opportunities and pressure moments. This was FANTASTIC as it really captured the flow of the game. Plus those light streak transitions were mesmerizing :P

Check out the ZHL Youtube channel tomorrow to see tonight's broadcast. I'll edit this and post it here when it's up. EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUTCmMk3u_M

Thanks!
Last edited by ProfessorX on Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ProfessorX

Re: Using OBS Replay Buffer for on-the-fly highlights

Post by ProfessorX » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:13 pm

Another thought:

If every caster does this, we can take the best of the best highlights from each round and combine them for a bigger highlight reel with music. This beats the hell out of me asking everyone for replays all the time :P
TeeKay
Legend
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: CN

Post by TeeKay » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:22 pm

ProfX for president
Rigensis
Battle.net Name: Rigensis
Battle.net Char Code: 955
Battle.net Server: EU

Post by Rigensis » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:30 pm

Awesome Nerds!

Long long time ago EU had replays after each game. It was done by obs buffer - same as in your solution - and then played back on stream using VLC.
as seen in this video https://youtu.be/0vmuL59sssY?t=53m7s
The reason why I stopped to bother about replays after games - too much work.
Plus there was some problems with that solution - having vlc captured for stream means that I couldnt use the monitor the monitor on which vlc was on since if I opened browser the browser would be showed in stream instead of vlc.
Other thing was the lack of transitions - somewhere i have video where I used some transitions, but I needed to add files in vlc playlist manyally after each replay video.
I think that in end I found solutions to both of those problems.
Tho the biggest hurdle was the fact it added additional tasks - and as lazy person I want less tasks each casting day. Back then in Clan League we had a tight schedule - Game every 30 minutes. And back then refferees were in charge of creating lobby. Also sometimes I forgot to press hotkey for saving good episode :)
The moment when I decided to ditch replays after games was when I was trying to make some order in replay highlight video folder - then I decided - screw this.
Heres link to replays I bothered to save in G-Drive
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8c_i ... authuser=0

Your solution, guys, seems to reduce steps needed for maintenance of replay videos - so you guys make me want to start using highlights of games again.

Question 1 - Are you using batch files mentioned in those videos? Because basically you can just change the directory of OBS output to e.g. "c:\replays" and then use that directory as source in that "video" plugin in obs. (After hearing you guys found that obs plugin i went ahead and played with it and since I didn`t know anything about that program directory monitor - I went and did it my way, which worked).

Question 2 - I asked Moose how you guys make transition happens. He told me. I have more questions - Moose - can you post picture of your replay directory with transition files added in? It would help me understand better.

Idea - theoretically with some scene change shortcuts in obs you guys can show instant replay right after the goal is scored. U need one shortcut for main game screen, 2nd shortcut for replay screen (It can be same as main game screen but with last saved replay in one corner - or only last saved replay). The right after you save replay you press change scene button and when you hear the countdown finishing for faceoff you jump back to the main screen. Tho then you need to us that directory monitor program.

Hype for ProfX, Moose, streams :)

UPD Forgot to mentioned that we used those replays just as background in between games - so the stream would have some action while we are getting ready for next games.
TeeKay
Legend
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: CN

Post by TeeKay » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:30 am

Rig, I really really like your idea of having replays being casted between games instead of dead air time (with just a text overlay saying highlights/between games) . If we get up weekly compilations of highlights the caster could even just put those on. For more time could even show EZHL highlights on NA and vice versa.
Kurt_58
Legend
Battle.net Name: Kurt
Battle.net Char Code: 638

Post by Kurt_58 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:20 pm

Yea last night Teroh, Moose, and I were trying to work out the highlight system. I really like it and it'll make finding highlights for anything else, whether it be awards shows, highlight videos, or pregame hype videos. It does put some more work on the streamer, but I think we finally have enough quality casters to be able to rotate this and keep consistent enough. Keep an eye out in the future for this because this is definitely something that all the casters support, we just want it to be done in the most efficient manner and not cause us too many headaches.

If we can get a solid block of highlights at the end of each stream, then we could possibly have a weekly wrap-up video on Fridays at 8 on the twitch channel. Where we show each games highlights on mute, and commentate over the top of it. And we could also add in any news that anyone in the community would like to add in. It would only take about 30 minutes to do the show.

Even if the highlight block shown at the end of the game is a little bold, at the very least instant replay could be implemented. I'm looking forward to the challenge!
l)arkangel
Battle.net Name: Darkangel
Battle.net Char Code: 1457

Post by l)arkangel » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:41 pm

Are the replays saved instantly? Is the most recent replay stored at one address? As in could we set up another scene that starts with a transition, then plays the most recent replay with VLC? Or would you manually have to point the VLC at the most recent replay. I might tinker with this as well.
*S5 Champion*

Player Profile
ProfessorX

Post by ProfessorX » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:54 pm

@Rig:
Yea I was using the batch file, but all it does is trigger Directory Monitor to update the last recording symlink so your plugin will only show the very last highlight you made. You definitely can just use your own source location without that.

And yes, the instant replay after the goal was what happened in my original video (I forgot to setup scene switcher hotkeys though), but my highlight would take a few seconds to save and then 7 seconds to play, so by the time I switched back to the game I missed the face-off. I'd need to lower the buffer time to maybe 5 seconds I guess. Again I think after-game highlights is better, but instant replay would be great for really really really crafty goals.

@Kurt

A weekly recap show would be awesome. Make it happen!

Maybe all the casters could share a Dropbox where you guys can dump all the highlight clips from the week and then just quickly cut together your own Top Ten video for the show. You can even rip countdown transitions from a video like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aInOK6T6n1w so you wouldn't have to make your own mograph shit.

And then Kurt can eventually setup a green screen, put on a suit, and BOOM ez Sportscenter.
ProfessorX

Post by ProfessorX » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:58 pm

l)arkangel wrote:Are the replays saved instantly? Is the most recent replay stored at one address? As in could we set up another scene that starts with a transition, then plays the most recent replay with VLC? Or would you manually have to point the VLC at the most recent replay. I might tinker with this as well.
Yes, as soon as you hit the hotkey, the X amount of buffer is saved to a folder. You can either scene switch to the Video source plugin (which just plays it within OBS) or switch to a standalone player (VLC/SMPlayer/MPC) (you could also slow-mo with this)