Capture screen with minimum resources

Share your ZH-related videos, player streams, gifs, and more!
daggius
Battle.net Name: daggius
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: NA

Capture screen with minimum resources

Post by daggius » Fri May 01, 2015 6:15 pm

hi friends

what would you guys think is the best way to record a game (not stream but just record locally)? I have an old version of fraps but it slows my comp down considerably. I think OBS would work better but have not tested it much. is there anything better or what do u guys recommend. i want to be able to record decent quality without even noticing its going on. also, people who do this, is it important for video to be saving to your SSD or does it not matter?

thanx
Kurt_58
Legend
Battle.net Name: Kurt
Battle.net Char Code: 638

Re: Capture screen with minimum resources

Post by Kurt_58 » Fri May 01, 2015 6:34 pm

1. Best recording software I've used is Shadowplay. But you have to have a corresponding Nvidia card to go with it. Theres actually a separate processor built just for it so it doesn't have much drop in fps.
2. Record it onto an SSD. With you constantly rewritting over and over on a HDD it loses its longevity much quicker.
ProfessorX
Battle.net Name: ProfessorX
Battle.net Char Code: 1530

Post by ProfessorX » Fri May 01, 2015 10:19 pm

Depends on your gear, like Kurt said I believe Shadowplay is available on 650 series Nvidia cards and up. I personally don't like the Shadowplay interface and options. OBS can tap into this the same way (using GPU to encode) if you switch to NVENC instead of x264.

If you have an Intel CPU, you can use QuickSync (I believe it came on Sandy/Ivy, improved on Haswell), it's essentially the same deal using hardware accelerated encoding, but instead using the CPU integrated graphics. Much lower CPU usage.

Those 2 options might need some tweaking. You could just follow something simple like this.
https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/ ... rdings.16/
ilvsntrs
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: EU

Post by ilvsntrs » Sat May 02, 2015 6:20 am

i've always used fraps