Biased look at S5 draft

handsumSnail
Battle.net Name: handsumSnail
Battle.net Char Code: 312
Battle.net Server: EU

Biased look at S5 draft

Post by handsumSnail » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:01 pm

Author of this text is owner himself. He's also the worst ranked owner in EU history. Take everything that will be written with a huge grain of salt.

So, Season 5 draft was done tonight, and I wanted to do a "quick" overview on each team, and then finish it all off with my predictions for the season. First off, team 8 - CofTea.

A few words on owner / personal opinion

Coftea is a guy who according to our Comissioner did his homework the best. Talked with bunch of people (20+)/scouted, had multiple excel sheets with mock draft and attendances included (he even commented he was planning on making list on players attendance in previous seasons, had LMs hadnt done it themselves). He's also very lovable character who I personally like a lot (if it wasnt already clear after Lannisters hall of fame :P) and I wish him all the best in this season!

DRAFT

R1: Lime 90%

Even tho Maldu is extremly versatile player who won EUDL in the past, he usually plays defender, which dont get drafted so early. People also argued in chat Poodle could have been drafted a bit later, and casters remarked similarly to Sanji pick, even tho they respected the fact best player/sniper/memelord EU would probably do really well with the new goal sizes. That said, I think CofTea got huge value in this round, considering he had the last pick. Lime is an amazing player and its surprising he wasn't drafted earlier.

R2: Coftea 90%

Coftea escaped R1 draft by tiniest of margins, so its pretty obvious by the time first two picks concluded, his team was on good track.

R3: valenz 75%

With three (3) goalies picked in R2 (/insert meme), Coftea having last pick in R3 meant he had to choose between valenz, SittingDuck, Rigensis and KDE (as last season main goalies), or go with someone newly signed up/former probe. He choose valenz. Everyone rates goalies differently, so I'm just gonna say valenz is a guy with the most reliable attendance out of all goalies in previous seasons, and he's also a "TUPL goalie", and we all know TUPL goalies best goalies right? :mrgreen:

R4: LittleDickey 90%

This is where it gets dicey. Early access to R4 meant a lot of options. Coftea decided to get a guy who is usually overlooked on EU cuz of a lot of factors, namely sporadic activity. Dickey played 12 games in s3, then dissapeared kinda, s4 applied midseason and had 1/6, but then went on to win the Christmas Tourney. With 90% attendance locked for this season, Dickey could be this seasons Loogik, but if mock drafts showed anything, it's that people will argue this matter to death.

MAIN impression

Overall, I have no idea who is a natural defender in this team, but I'm a n00b so just ignore this line. On the other hand, all 3 fielders are extremely strong clickers, and retaining possession should not be an issue for them, especially with Coftea around as probably the biggest puck feeder out there. Additionally, they all excel in positional awareness, even though they arent naturally defensive players. Their offensive potential is hugeeee, stuff of nightmares tbh. In conclusion.... Nope! Final word will be left for after all the teams have been reviewed, when I can look at the bigger picture.

R5: Locas 90%

I really shouldn't. I don't agree with this at all, but i'm biased against players with Locas style so, nevermind i guess. If I would try to say something nice: he has great potential, I just don't think he's there yet tho... 6/6 after S4 midseason helps too... as first sub for main, as much as I try, I cant see any value here...

R6: Ziomek 75%

Having last R5 and first R6 picks I think Coftea kinda took two big gambles. One was up&comer striker currently lacking any form of tactical awareness, and the other one was a ZH veteran who was a beast in his prime. Having said that, Ziomek has made 5/12 in both S3 and S4, so him putting 75% was probably overestimating himself by quite a bit. Additionally, Ziomek plays in same role as Locas. As basically everyone on Cofteas team, they click like mad men, I'm just not sure if it will matter if they're out of position.

R7: HaldireCZE 75%

With 3/12 in previous season, and with Lexaya still in the pool, I can't really justify this pick. But as I said, everyone has different opinions on goalies so, all the power to Coftea. In all fairness, Lex did leave a threatening description for his attendance and it's possible Coftea didn't want to risk any drama in his team, but Ozy was also in the pool, so...

R8: Uno 90%

Uno can play goalie, which can soften the blow should Haldire have another poor season in attendance. For Uno this is his debut in EUDL, he's doing really well in pubs as skater. He's a solid goalie as well. Do I think Coftea should've filled other roles and not done 2xstriker 2xgoalie - yes. Do I think given the circumstances Uno was as best he could draft considering he's flex pick in positions? Yup.

R9: ryhoo 75%

3/12 in S4 and 7/12 in S3, this was still probably a great pick considering players left in the pool. When he showed up, ryhoo was preforming amazingly well in Probe, and he is also like 5-0 on 2v2 ladder vs me (curse you!!!). Fast player with great mechanics, good passer and strong support, if he can keep true to his attendance, thumbs up on my part. Would probably get higher draft if he wasn't so random S4!

R10: storakles 90%

AMAZING pick. Like seriously, what are you people thinking drafting Stor so late? He had 9 games in Probe and 2 in Main last season (his team won the League), has put 90% for this season AND he also played S3 so he has tons of XP. Very active, very friendly, I'm just shocked how late he was drafted. And yes I know i could've picked him up myself but he's always threatening to eat other snails so......... (but no srsly i had to get a goalie, rip :mrgreen: )

R11: Meep 75%

One of the rare NA guys to put 75% and also leave a very helpful attendance description. I don't know NA players, so please excuse the short description.

R12: Freaky 50%

Then again even I know enough about NA to never draft someone who made 1 game in 2 seasons over Carlito. Worst case scenario they have same attendance. Can u really compare them skillwise? Oh yeah, there were players like benibomb, Loco,Ziege/Hogan, uHelj still left in the pool...

R13: NoThankYou 75%

NTY will make debut in EUDL this season as well. He's good in pubs, definitely above average, and is probably the best player still left in the pool. If he was drafted a round or even two earlier, I would say its a good gamble. Snail approves (and almost got him for himself, but decided for Ziege/Hogan).

R14: Audric 75%

Guy loves ZH so much he signed up twice. Made 4 games last season and was bench in few others. GL HF frend, u're a star in my heart! :mrgreen:

PROBE impression

I've already pointed out my biggest issues with how the probe draft was done. Overall, some really good moves in later stages, and some very questionable moves early. I have no doubts Coftea did his homework, but apparently we just have wildly different approaches to putting together a solid Probe Team. This speaks very little in where I think this team will rank by the end of the season. Stay tuned for that, team 7 & 6 coming tomorrow.

--hS
BoooM
Battle.net Name: BoooM
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Re: Biased look at S5 draft

Post by BoooM » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:25 pm

Coftea top lvl owner!
This main team is the most likely candidate for 100% attendance imo.
OzyWho
Battle.net Name: Ozy Who

Post by OzyWho » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:52 am

Overall, I have no idea who is a natural defender in this team
Dude.... coftea... :lol:

I love cofteas main team, good team with probably close to 100% attendance. They should have great fun this season. ;)
But his probe team... Ohh man.. I am confused by the picks to say the least.
In all fairness, Logiks probe team is the only one that is an eye candy for me. Those captains man... they seem to have random drafted their probe teams.

I can't wait for you to review Tyrions and DrunkMagets picks as they look the most interesting to me. :mrgreen:
Me personally, I like Snails, Tomeks, Cofteas main teams the most, though hating Tomeks (none existent) probe team.
Snails team is my personal favorite overall 8-)

By the way. Couldn't have made like a 9th team with so many registered players? I feel like some in our probe team could get a bad experience because not getting to play, since most of us could potentially have high attendance :(
We experience something, evaluate it, and then we feel an emotional response according to that evaluation.
Reason is emotion's slave and exists to rationalize emotional experience.
Rationalize emotional response in the present experience.
handsumSnail

Post by handsumSnail » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:40 am

OzyWho wrote:
Overall, I have no idea who is a natural defender in this team
Dude.... coftea... :lol:
CofTea is a definition of support for me, I think i made it pretty clear already :lol: edit: not saying he cant def, but with Booom on same clan, u do 2+2 :P
OzyWho wrote: I love cofteas main team, good team with probably close to 100% attendance. They should have great fun this season. ;)
But his probe team... Ohh man.. I am confused by the picks to say the least.
In all fairness, Logiks probe team is the only one that is an eye candy for me. Those captains man... they seem to have random drafted their probe teams.
i guess u find out soon if i agree :mrgreen:
OzyWho wrote: By the way. Couldn't have made like a 9th team with so many registered players? I feel like some in our probe team could get a bad experience because not getting to play, since most of us could potentially have high attendance :(
we had 13 rounds S4, and we have 14 rounds S5, but with an extra team. its already causing a lot of pain in scheduling, rules, and it also stopped the biggest change we planned for S5. so basically, keep in mind more teams=more games, and we have to accommodate EU players that cant play late at night, and on the other hand we also have to make sure people working sundays & NA getting up too early is not an issue. 9 teams was possible, but extremely ambitious, to say the least
Last edited by handsumSnail on Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
DerrocK
Battle.net Name: Junky

Post by DerrocK » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:50 am

I think the real problem was the lack of people willing to be owners
COTEP W
EZHL S1 W
EU Open W
NA ZHPL S5 W
EUS2 Regular Season W, Commish, AllStar
EU Redline W
EUS6 Commish
Swedish Open 2v2 W
DaGOAT ZHCL Rings: 2
Best Support ZHPL S11
Nº1 EU Forum Poster
Immortals on ice Rings: 3
EUS8 W

Narcissism at its best
handsumSnail

Post by handsumSnail » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:11 pm

Next up, team 7 - Loogik.

DRAFT

R1: Loogik 90%

One of the three owners put in R1. After last season performance, and some very strong players not signing up, I think this was the right call as well. I had my doubts about mock drafts and where owners would end up in the end, but so far no complaints.

R2: BoooM 90%

With Loogik as strong front, it was almost too obvious this was coming given the fact Loogik had such early R2 access. Two of them just won the season, so for me personally (having last pick in R2) looking at this and Cofteas team, panic was starting to settle in. :mrgreen:

R3: Gust 75%

This made me smile. People overlook how good Gust is in net, and I also had him in my top3 picks for R3, after checking 3x with him if he would goalie or field, to the point where Gust was confident I was owner, as if I was hiding it... :P Anyways,to get confirmation that Loogik+BoooM brain trust made the same call, gave me confidence I was at least on point with my mock draft. Sorry to make it about myself, but I just dont have anything controversial to say yet, its just good draft overall :mrgreen:

R4: Destro 90%

UR FOOKIN WELCUM NERDS. I won't disclose what I had to send Derpstro to get him to sign up, but u bastards owe me big time. And the sheer amount of >hours< I spent convincing him prior to that, jesus christ, if dis Loogik kid had any manners he would let me have him. And yes Im aware that Mos/Unfo were still in the pool, but Loogik made it very clear he's all about attendance+practice so this wasn't suprising at all. I would argue Loogik got his best possible main lineup even, lets see if he confirms or denies.

MAIN impression

Some people will question Destro pick and he will prove them wrong. Gust will dominate if he stays motivated, and Loogik&BoooM will laugh on their way to the bank when season closes. I know i said I would wait to look at the bigger picture, but I'm willing to predict top3 finish right here right now.

R5: Strymx 50%

And this is where weird things started happening. I know Strymx is OP support, but 2/12 S4 and low attendance lock S5 is something that i didnt expect Loogik to ignore. Instead of getting someone that can reliably fill in for Main (great potential, good skill, high attendance), he got a player that will outright push out Destro when he happens to shows up. Destro is very active right now, so I assume he's motivated as well and I expect him to make almost all games - he has a lot to prove. Benching him for AFK guy is just inviting trouble, no matter how good that guy might be. Ive had short talks with Strymx prior to draft several times, and they didnt exactly inspire confidence. It will be interesting too see how Loogik deals with this for sure, cuz he might be thinking about Strymx as Probe playoffs carry (which wouldnt even be a problem cuz Strymx doesnt have ego issues). In that case, he prolly hit the jackpot?

R6: DuckHunter 90%

Talk about value pick. I have no idea what I was thinking. Even if you hate the guy, recent SQUIK successes should have propelled DH at least one round higher, if not borderline Main, yet he got ignored - again. He has a very unique playstyle that some people might not like, but overall is very strong in almost all positions and will put in hours of practice, and nobody can deny his #passion for ZH. Last playoffs his team won a 3v4, one of the most fun series I ever watched. So if he doesnt loose faith in humanity by this draft, and some internal conflicts can be resolved, this could be a season where DH shines.

R7: Xeirex 75%

If we ignore Boukan existing, probably the strongest Probie left. I feel like he's overlooked often, so I would say in S5 he has the potential to suprise a lot of people. Potential issues might be only 6/12 with 90% locked in previous season, but if someone on that team can manage him, this is a great pick, even if somewhat risky.

R8: Lexaya 90%

Getting such a solid goalie as late as round 8 is pretty good. Lexaya is reliable when he wants to be. His attendance comment is worrying AF, and our conversation didn't help either - he just hates being in teams where ppl don't show up, and it's hard to give guarantees tbh so, its probably not suprising people didnt take him earlier. Either way, considering what's coming up next for Loogik, I'd say Lexaya will at least repeat his 5+3 attendance with a strong showing in playoffs, probably even more.

R9: Monkey 75%

To me R9 is all about people that are good enough for starting 4 Probe, but won't complain if they're bench, assuming Owner does a good job and has a lot of people from higher rounds showing up. Apparently Loogik agrees with me, cuz after Vogin shared with other owners how manner Monkey has been S4 about bench (team players FTW, shout-out to Resteral :( ), it was obvious someone would jump on him, even tho his attendance overall could fool you into thinking otherwise. GJ Vogin, self rekt is strong with this one :mrgreen:

R10: TheHunter 75%

A player I myself often overlooked, but scouted in pubs prior to draft. Long story short: amazing tactical awareness for a pubber, and will provide value for any team in need of Probe defender. He kept true to his 75% last season, so I expect him to do the same again. For round 10, great value.

R11: tRa 50%

Loogik showing some love to his clanmate at this point I guess. It was expected tRa value would go down the drain once he decided not to play goalie anymore. He had 11+1 last season in attendance, so I have no idea why he sabotaged his application this hard. If he fields, I think there were better options still out there. I have no idea why he put 50% as well. Any insight would be appreciated...

R12: iSpyGecko 50%

With no attendance description and 50% locked, I'm assuming Loogik was just looking for a way not to look racist towards NA. :lol:

R13: Anshin 50%

Yeah GL with that.

R14: memphisto 50%

This is not Snake. Trust me.

PROBE impression

If Loogik talked with these players, fact that he only has 2 players with 90% locked might not even matter. If he hasn't, he will probably have varying results each week depending on who's available. His Probe star is possibly RIP (and if not, it can cause even more problems maybe with his R4), he has two players that could cause issues within the team (no need to go into details just yet i guess), but not to the point where it's not manageable if he acts swiftly. In that case he has one of Probe teams with biggest depth in my opinion. It will be hard to predict final ranking for this team, but i look forward to it :mrgreen:

EDIT: i just realized i talked with almost half of his team before draft.

obv, Loogik -> Image

--hS
Last edited by handsumSnail on Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OzyWho
Battle.net Name: Ozy Who

Post by OzyWho » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:03 pm

Isn't this also the first time Logik was team owner for eudl? He did amazing job with his picks i would say :shock:
We experience something, evaluate it, and then we feel an emotional response according to that evaluation.
Reason is emotion's slave and exists to rationalize emotional experience.
Rationalize emotional response in the present experience.
LoOgiK
Battle.net Name: BlackPhilou
Battle.net Char Code: 2169

Post by LoOgiK » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:26 pm

(Y)keep doing the great job snail friend
EUDL4 winner #10-0
1st best forum spammer
ZHCL 8 9 Winner
EUDL5 Manager
Redline tourney finalist

VOTE KURT FOR S10 COMMISION
handsumSnail

Post by handsumSnail » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:26 pm

Team 6 - Vogin.

Most people look at Vogins first season and assume he didnt do very well, based on Strymx/Loco<->Vapour trade and attendance issues he faced with most of his other star players. However, his Main qualified for playoffs despite all the problems, and his Probe finished season in 2nd place, +5 pts over 3rd. He was kind enough to help LMs out and do another season as owner, when it became clear r1-r3 players keep refusing the position. So thank you Vogin, for once again stepping up when it counts. Your contribution levels to this community are over 9000 :!:

DRAFT

R1: Sanji 90%

Being R2 owner of underdog team that made finals obviously bumped Shusuke a bit. I could write a lot about him and why its maybe better to get him in the next round, but we all know what his reply will be so why bother :mrgreen:

R2: axl 75%

With 8+5 games in S4 axl was the most reliable mainer for Vogin, even tho he missed few matches himself. He had games with 20+ saves, and is at least in my opinion one of the strongest goalies EU. Additionally, should they have any missing players, axl is for sure Main level skater, and Vogin has so many "hidden" goalies in rooster, that it wouldnt shock me at all if they tried out crazy stuff during the season. In conclusion, usually I would say you should never draft goalie so early, but axl OP.

R3: Crescendo 90%

I take personal pride in this. Cresc was my co-captain and MVP last probe season. He basically appears in every other HoF stats as well, and has been destroying enemy offenses every sunday with such consistency its joy to behold, makes me sorry S4 ended. On top of that, he helped out SQUIK immensely with their recent break out performances, and is just someone who has improved so much that it would've been shocking if he didnt make first 4 rounds. Having said that, his recent activity has fallen off, and it can only get worse due to IRL circumstances, therefore even though I consider us great friends, I can't really justify R3 draft, especially when u consider how much his and Sanji game philosophies differ. Its also possible, actually quite probable im biased and salty I couldnt get him, but still...

R4: MasuNinja 75%

Here we go again. I already argued plenty about Masu so this is kinda tiring and imma make it short. I appreciate him more than most people. On top of strong clicking and big offensive potential, he was just so solid as goalie last season, which imo adds to his value. Ive talked with him about possibly even playing this season in the net, but he claims new patch didnt do him any favors. Additionally, in a separate convo, Ive convinced him to remove his skater lock, so GJ Snail, self rekt is strong in this one :mrgreen:

R5: Vogin 90%

12+10 games last season, with this being his third season of EUDL. People pissing him off with EU player rankings. Other people ignoring his success in Probe, and/or owner ability in general, pissing him off even harder. If you'll ever see someone tryhard in S5, it's gonna be Vogin. Take from that what you want :mrgreen:

R6: Folero 75%

6+3 and 9+3 in S4 and S3. Former TWKH, main player for two seasons, solid all around, by far best R6 you could ever get. I understand people decided for defenders with 90%, but its just mind-boogling Folero was drafted so late. I have explanation for myself (which I will provide when my turn comes), but I would pay good money to hear from others and what they were thinking here. You could argue people had attendance concerns but when that guy puts attendance he always goes slightly over it, this was easy to check via sheet LM provided.

R7: boukan 75%

LUL! R4 and 5+5 in a team that drafted generalxl midseason (== he missed 1 game per midseason) obviously did a number on this poor guy, even tho he continued showing up for Probe without causing drama and provided the best quality series of Probe playoffs just by being there for Tomek, Tenchi and inLife (they had to play Lannister tho :mrgreen: ). Just unbelivable. I understand him and Folero aren't exactly flashiest players out there, but god damn.

MAIN impression

Yup. This team has so much depth its not even funny. None of the players are exactly carry super stars which will probably mean (extremely?) small odds of actually winning, but given time to practice and develop a good system, its quite possible they can make playoffs and suprise people again. They >will< need time though, and Vogin stepping up as owner making the right calls will probably have more influence on the outcome of their season than in any other team. Problems could, no, will arise when Sanji (or even Masu) are missing obviously. Oh yeah, another thing is, if they want to go out and do some magic in trade windows, they're the only team that gets value no matter what, depending on what they want to go for (and they should go for one more strong offensive player imo). Another great potential problem is their R6 and R7 not sticking around, for which I wouldnt blame them at all, even tho it saddens me to say it.

R8: tenkZ 50%

A somewhat depressing attendance note still doesn't negate the fact he had 5+2 games last season, so I'm not suprised Vogin drafted him again. He won't be there every week, but aside from Kurt, resteral and Vapour, highest attending NA. Hats off

R9: Vulcan 75%

I would laugh my ass off - again. But I did speak with Oriwarz before draft and he basically admitted if he can't get first 4 rounds its very unlikely he will be showing up. With just 3 and 5 appeareances in last two seasons, I tend to take his word very seriously. Destro did make him come for probe playoffs, but I dont see anyone repeating that aside from Doll or valenz, which arent on his team so, GLHF

R10: Elharion 50%

A very opinionated player, that can only come for games played during 18-20 interval. With other NA or even pubbers EU, I personally don't think this was the correct call. Vogin can goalie in probe himself, but still.

R11: Goalie 75%

Goalie that often refuses to goalie, and on field is... well, Philippe. He's still pretty decent pubber but, i dunno man, I feel like babysitting him would make any owner retire...

R12: Krystianer 90%

A pubber with the boldest prediction in attendance I ever saw. Fun times. :mrgreen:

R13: muletomartin 75%

Guy that locked 90% and then hasnt showed up once in regular season, yet repeatedly kept spamming me during playoff finals even after i explained to him three times in two different languages that he needed at least 2 games to be eligible for playoffs, and even then that I would never play him considering he showed 0% effort during regular season. Yeah, amazing pick Kappa

R14: uHelj 75%

:( :( :( Just look at 3 rounds before uHelj, player that made 9/12 in probe last season, never caused any drama and even played well, but ended up being drafted as 4th from bottom. Just absurd, sad and depressing.

PROBE impression

I feel like Vogin will have a REALLY hard time in probe. I know on paper his probe is stacked, but its bunch of main players getting underdrafted which will probably kill their motivation, and then he's left with questionable picks (aside from few) to say the least. It wouldnt even suprise me to have uHelj repeat another great season in attendance, even tho his draft was outright insulting. And as I said, managing both Goalie AND muletomartin, well, thats just depressing if ur owner :lol:

EDIT: ive made the changes in wording on their playoffs chances, after Loogik pointed out only 5 teams make playoffs, and not 6...

--hS
Last edited by handsumSnail on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
DerrocK
Battle.net Name: Junky

Post by DerrocK » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:02 pm

vogin's team suks lmaooooooo
COTEP W
EZHL S1 W
EU Open W
NA ZHPL S5 W
EUS2 Regular Season W, Commish, AllStar