EUDL s5 evaluation

BoooM
Battle.net Name: BoooM
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: EU

EUDL s5 evaluation

Post by BoooM » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:10 pm

After the end of the playoffs, I would like to look back at the season and shortly summarize some of my impressions and feelings about it.
As a commissioner, my first and foremost goal was to try to shape the league in such a manner that it is as enjoyable as possible for as many people as possible. With an all-time record number of sign-ups before the start of the season, it was only logical that we expand the league to include more teams. However, finding enough people willing to sacrifice time and effort by becoming owners has historically been one of the hardest things to do for every season of EUDL. Here, a thank you is due to the players who agreed to become owners as well as to the LMs who spent a lot of time trying to convince people into consenting to become owners.

Without further ado, let’s kick off with some numbers and stats comparing this season of EUDL to the previous 4 seasons:

The balance in main league this season has been exceptional. Not only were the top 5 teams pretty much equal in points acquired at the end of the season, but the spread between the top and the bottom teams has been by far the lowest it has ever been. Additionally, the last place team (despite disbanding shortly after mid-season) has fared very close to the historically best last place performances as far as points are concerned. On a less pleasant note, the amount of mercies and forfeits in main league has set a new negative record this season (even when regarded in percentage).
In probe league, the stats are less impressive but still suggest a mostly even season that fares quite well compared to previous editions of EUDL despite the tightened restrictions and availability on free agents.

Perfect balance is hard if not impossible to achieve. Still, personally I would say that I am quite content with how the season went. We had one of the (if not the single) most competitive seasons of EUDL. There is only so much the LMs and I can do. A large (probably even the major) contribution to how the season developed has been provided by the owners, whom I would like to thank once again for helping out to make the league happen.
I would have gone as far as to say that the league went perfectly, if there was not one significant dark spot: one of the teams disbanding mid-season. Having to deal with a team disbanding is less than pleasant to say the least, but having to exclude two of its members from participating in the ongoing competition has been by far the hardest and most depressing thing for me this season.

Obviously, there is still room for improvement in EUDL, so the league becomes a more pleasant experience for everybody involved, but I feel like we (LMs and players) are going in the right direction. I hope that my assessment is shared by many of you and that the league will keep evolving.
Last but not least, I would like to thank my league managers, some of whom have put countless hours in making the league experience better for all of us, as well as the streamers and casters, who have provided essential service to the league.
Tenkz
Battle.net Name: Tenkz
Battle.net Server: NA

Re: EUDL s5 evaluation

Post by Tenkz » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:42 pm

booom is actually the goat especially with the snake ban 10/10 season
OzyWho
Battle.net Name: Ozy Who

Post by OzyWho » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:18 am

The balance sure was incredible.

But on a different note - I got the distinct impression that old and seasoned players don't care much about winning anymore. Maybe even some clash between preferred roles and playstyles behind the scenes?
I predict those will be some problems that will become more and more apparent after each season. While balance might become better and better.

I wasn't around first seasons. Was it like: horrible balance, but everyone willing to adopt any role and playstyle for their team, and with a decent amount of team practices?
:roll:
If yes, then I think I can see in the future. :lol:
We experience something, evaluate it, and then we feel an emotional response according to that evaluation.
Reason is emotion's slave and exists to rationalize emotional experience.
Rationalize emotional response in the present experience.
LoOgiK
Battle.net Name: BlackPhilou
Battle.net Char Code: 2169

Post by LoOgiK » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:17 am

no you dont understand, the old players care about winning but they dont tryhard in regular season for most of them cuz their teams are good enought to reach playoffs^^ we probably can find solutions for next season !
Great job booom, u da best commish just before Junko!
I register for LM team of the next season btw !
EUDL4 winner #10-0
1st best forum spammer
ZHCL 8 9 Winner
EUDL5 Manager
Redline tourney finalist

VOTE KURT FOR S10 COMMISION
DerrocK
Battle.net Name: Junky

Post by DerrocK » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:53 am

The thing is many old players dont have a huge interest in the game anymore but they/we still join leagues because the matches during competitive play are high level games that are very thrilling, exciting, serious and troll free (xd sf xd) which are rare and this leads to very low activity during the week except for maybe the day before the match.
COTEP W
EZHL S1 W
EU Open W
NA ZHPL S5 W
EUS2 Regular Season W, Commish, AllStar
EU Redline W
EUS6 Commish
Swedish Open 2v2 W
DaGOAT ZHCL Rings: 2
Best Support ZHPL S11
Nº1 EU Forum Poster
Immortals on ice Rings: 3